When it comes to preparing a meal for dinner, sometimes it’s best to leave the five-star recipes to the professional chefs. Every now and then you just need a good ol’ hearty helping of Randall Great Northern Beans
with ham and cornbread. It’s a simple dish with a down-home taste. It’s easy to make, filling and will remind you that some the best dishes are made with only a few ingredients. This recipe mixes succulent chunks of ham with tender carrots, onions, celery and beans for a delicious meal that pairs perfectly with sweet and crumbly corn bread. Toss all of your ingredients into a Dutch oven and let the stove do all the work. While your beans, ham and vegetable mixture is cooking, whip up some cornbread from scratch or use your favorite store bought brand. Don’t forget to encourage dipping with pieces of cornbread!
Great Northern Beans with Ham and Cornbread
- 1 48-ounce jar Randall Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 1 1/2 pounds cottage butt, sliced or cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Combine Randall Beans, cottage butt, onions, water, carrots and celery in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, 45 minutes. Remove lid and simmer 15 minutes or until bean mixture is desired consistency. Serve in individual soup bowls along with cornbread.
- Makes 4 servings.
For more great recipes featuring our famous beans, visit the Randall Beans Recipes blog!
Don’t let a busy lifestyle keep you from serving delicious, healthy and hearty meals. On a cold winter night, a warm bowl of soup served with rich corn bread and left over ham hits the spot. And if you are looking for a vegetarian version, simply leave out the ham.
The best part is you can make this ahead and simply warm it up when it is time to eat. So welcome your family, or simply curl up with a good book and a warm meal to keep the winter chills away.