Grab your picnic basket. It’s time for a trip to the park for the first picnic of the year. Let rays of sunlight fall across your face for a sun kissed look, while your sipping on refreshing lemonade in a re purposed glass jar (learn how to make here). Fill your basket with a traditional red plaid blanket and the best summertime eats. Now, what type of food to bring? Regular hamburgers ooze grease all over the blanket and a turkey sandwich makes it feel like any other weekday lunch. Mix up your Saturday picnic menu with a cheesy quinoa and black bean burger.
Pack up your quinoa and black bean burger without worrying about a greasy mess. This burger made with rainbow quinoa and Randall’s black beans easily makes the journey from kitchen to red plaid blanket. It is a scrumptious and healthy lunch as you are surrounded by the shade of blooming red bud trees. Let the spicy flavors of curry powder and smoked paprika awake your taste buds to summer as avocado and tomatoes balance the spice with a refreshing coolness. Bring our grilled balsamic three bean salad as the perfect starter dish for your picnic.
This picnic worthy burger recipe is courtesy of Amber. See more of her recipes on her blog, A Ginger in the Kitchen.
Cheesy Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cups cooked rainbow quinoa
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 2 cups Randall Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 onion, chopped and browned
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
- 1 tablespoon organic vegetable oil
- Whole wheat buns
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced pepper jack cheese
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Gently fold in flour. Add black beans, curry, paprika, eggs, onion, cheese, cilantro, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Gently mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add a tablespoon of organic vegetable oil. Shape quinoa/black bean mixture into patties. Once the oil is hot, place patties in pan. Cook until each side is golden brown (about 5-7 minutes per side). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado and hot sauce together.
- Place quinoa/black bean burger on a whole wheat bun and top with pepper jack cheese, tomato slice and avocado mash.
Bean burgers for all:
Randall’s Black Bean Burgers
White Bean and Kale Burgers
Fourth of July Grilling: More Bean Burger Recipes