The days are growing longer and the sun is shining brighter, which means we’re still serving up lots of summer time dishes and picnic-friendly recipes here at Randall Beans. Our wide variety of beans are super flexible and usable in all sorts of different ways, taking on and complementing the flavor of almost any dish you can dream-up. With our summer recipes, you’ll never be at a loss for ways to change up your cookout menu!
This fresh and healthy Apple Chicken Salad is the perfect, easy to make dish for your next outdoor get together or as a light side to your family dinner. Adding a helping of Randall’s creamy Garbanzo Beans, this salad is a tasty twist on classic chicken salad, lightened up with Greek yogurt and quinoa.
Chicken salads aren’t usually this jam packed with healthy ingredients, but this dish is filled with lots of protein and yummy fruit. The natural sugars from the yogurt and the fruit are a great way to get back energy after long day out playing in the sun, and the protein from the beans, chicken and yogurt helps build strong muscles for your little ones. This salad is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
This recipe comes to you from our friend Nicole Folgate. Make sure to check out her food blog, Yes to Yum.
Apple Chicken Salad with Garbanzo Beans and Quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ red quinoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ lb boneless skinless chicken breast (approx. 1 breast)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium apple, chopped (I used Gala)
- 1 14 ounce jar Randall Garbanzo Beans, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer (don’t skip this step, it removes the bitter taste).
- Combine quinoa, water, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. The water will be absorbed and the quinoa will be tender.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and cool completely.
- Cut the chicken breast into small cubes.
- Drizzle olive oil into a small skillet, season with pepper and cook chicken completely.
- Let cool before adding to salad.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients excluding the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, and sugar. Gently stir together and set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, and sugar.
- Pour over salad and stir to combine.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until completely chilled (about 1 ½-2 hours).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You may use low fat mayonnaise in this recipe.
Meatless Monday is so much more appealing when incorporating this tasty dish featuring Randall Beans Garbanzo Beans.