Black bean and spicy chorizo are among our favorite traditional Latin flavors. This bold new take on south-of-the-border cuisine takes a different twist on our favorite Hispanic elements, combing the earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes, the tangy notes of feta and red onions, all mixed through with sugary cinnamon. Your palate will thank you for this one!
As always, Randall Beans play an important role as a protein base for this dish. The chorizo adds deep, savory and irony spice to the overall composition, but is balanced by deglazing the entire dish in chicken broth reduction. The beans come through beautifully, taking on all of the rich chicken gravy flavor. Top with a bit of cilantro or parsley and you’re in for a dinner time treat!
Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Chorizo
- 1 (48-oz) jar of Randall Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 16 oz chorizo
- ½ cup red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- Toss cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil to coat; bake on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees for 15 minutes (or until tender).
- Place chorizo in a large pot over medium-high heat; break up chorizo into bite-sized pieces as it cooks; heat until cooked through.
- Add onions; continue to heat until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth to deglaze pot.
- Add black beans; cook until heated through.
- Add cinnamon (optional) and sweet potatoes from oven; mix and transfer to serving dish.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.
Beans + Chorizo Recipes
Smoky Sweet Chorizo Baked Beans with Duke’s Jerky
Pinto Bean Tostadas with Chorizo
Are you hungry yet? Head out to the store, and look for Randall’s Black Beans to make this dish tonight.