Peanut butter and jelly. Peas and carrots. There are some foods that just taste better together. But beans? Beans have so many complementary foods, it can be hard to keep track of everything that tastes delicious with beans.
We’ve combined (nearly) all those delicious tastes together into a bean dish that will knock your socks off.
We start by adding pork, both bacon and ham. Everyone knows pig is the perfect smoky, sweet pairing with beans, and our meaty and rich kidney beans are no exception. Next are onions, a must-have in any dish. Yellow onions are sweated down until they’re sweet, adding just a hint of crunch to your beans. Then it’s all about the beer.
Now, you can use any kind of beer you happen to have in your fridge. Just like when you cook with wine, make sure it’s a beer you’d actually want to drink (and may we suggest pairing a cold brew with these beans?). The darker the beer, the more flavor it will give to your beans, so if you want to keep things light, try a blonde; for a more robust flavor, try a stout.
Finally, we finish it all off with your favorite barbecue sauce–homemade or store-bought are both great–and a few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire sauce deepens the flavor and makes the sauce taste more savory. It makes the meat taste meatier and the sweet taste sweeter, so don’t leave it out.
This is the ideal meal to pair alongside burgers, brats, hot dogs, hearty stews, chicken or almost anything else.
- 1 48-oz jar of Randall Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 oz cooked ham, cubed
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced
- 8 strips of bacon
- 2 cups of BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 16-oz bottle of beer, a darker beer will provide a fuller-bodied flavor
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces; cook in large pot over medium high heat until cooked through, but not crispy.
- Add onions; continue to cook until onions are translucent.
- Add beer to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, ham, and kidney beans; heat to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add BBQ, mix well, and allow to heat through.
- Transfer entire mixture to 9 x 13” baking dish and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or to desired consistency.
Want more baked bean recipes? Grab your free copy of our Summer Baked Beans Cookbook. There are enough amazing baked beans here for just about every weekend of the summer! Seriously, if you are a baked beans lover you can’t afford to pass up this collection of recipes all featuring our delicious Randall Beans. Follow the link below.
This recipe is a perfect, filling dinner to prepare with ham, bacon and beans.