There’s a lot to look forward to during the winter holidays, but what we anticipate most is all the great food! Holiday feasts with turkey and hams, eggnog, and enough desserts to put you into a coma. Desserts and beans may not seem like a great fit, but our October Black Bean Brownies were such a hit, that we’re back with another sweet bean brownie recipe for you to try this holiday season! Food blogger Amber from A Ginger in the Kitchen brings us this wonderful recipe for Black Bean Peppermint Brownies – perfect for any holiday party or get-together.
Amber’s brownie recipe calls for them to be cooked in a small cupcake/muffin tin, giving the brownies a unique and adorable shape. The recipe also uses a food processor for mixing, though a household blender or electric mixer can work just as well. The combination of peppermint and chocolate is perfect for the season, giving a fresh and brisk bite to contrast with the ridge chocolate flavor. If all you wanted for Christmas was for your family to eat their beans, this recipe is the perfect present to warm them up to your favorite legumes.
Black Bean Peppermint Brownies
- ¾ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a mini cupcake pan.
- Place eggs in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Add black beans, coconut oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar and peppermint extract and pulse until well blended. Consistency should be smooth and semi thick. If batter is too thick, add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove batter from food processor and place in a bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute batter into cupcake pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the cupcake pan.
- For the frosting, using a handheld mixer, blend butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar in batches, and blend until smooth. Texture should form stiff peaks.
- Add one drop of peppermint extract and stir.
- Once brownies have cooled, remove from pan and top with peppermint icing. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
This Black bean recipe can be made with either Randall Beans Great Northern Beans or the Randall Beans Organic products.