Spring is just starting to wind down and summer is right around the corner.
What’s one of the best ways to cool down during meal time out in the warm weather? A beautiful, cool and absolutely delicious quinoa bean salad using Randall’s famous Black Beans. Combining the superfood that is quinoa with our tasty black beans is like a match made in heaven.
This chilled salad takes no time to make and is a fabulous picnic treat. Quinoa is a fun and tasty alternative to rice in this salad, with the added bonus of extra nutrition value. Mixed in among the grains are Randall’s Black Beans and plenty of fresh vegetables, meaning this dish is super healthy, filling and absolutely gorgeous once plated.
Adding our own favorite blend of spices and herbs takes this salad on a departure from the average. You can include whichever spices your family likes best and take out the ones that aren’t your favorites. If the red chili pepper flakes are too spicy for young tummies, try a pinch of bacon bits instead. Enjoy this dish chilled with your family gathered around on a warm day.
- 1 24-oz jar of Randall Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup unprepared quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium, vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional, to taste
- Salt to taste
- Mix red wine vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add diced onion, corn, black beans, and tomatoes to vinegar mixture; mix to coat and let sit while quinoa cooks and cools.
- Bring vegetable broth to boil in a medium saucepan; add quinoa, stir, cover, and reduce heat to low; simmer until liquid is absorbed; remove from heat, uncover, and allow to cool.
- Add cooled quinoa to bean mixture; serve at room temperature or from refrigerator.
Try some of our favorite bean recipes like Cinco De Mayo Roasted Corn and Black-eyed Pea Beans Pico or the Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Chorizo for dinner tonight!