Chilled chowders and soups are a refreshing and delicious addition to any summer menu.
Inspired by classic Thai flavors like lemongrass and coconut milk, this chilled white bean chowder is at once cool and fiery with the addition of jalapeno and white pepper.
The white bean chowder is lightly pureed with corn and cucumber which gives the dish some heft. We suggest serving a bowl of chilled Thai white bean chowder alongside grilled beef or chicken as the creamy cool chowder and the juicy sizzle of the meat are an unexpected and flavorful combination.
Don’t forget to keep any leftovers cooled in the fridge! This chowder keeps very well for up to a week, and can be heated if needed. We love being able to whip up such a simple and delicious dish and make it last for the next few meals.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 2 inches lemon grass, root end smashed
- 4 1/2 inches cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 4 cups sweet onion, chopped
- 4 ears corn, cooked, kernels removed
- 24 oz. Randall Great Northern Beans, rinsed
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp. white pepper
- 3 limes, juiced
- fresh coriander garnish, optional
- In a stock pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add onions, celery and white ends of the chopped scallions. Cook until mixture is translucent but not brown
- Reserve 1 cup of corn and 2 cups cucumber. Add corn, garlic, cucumber and lemongrass to the pot and continue to cook for 3 minutes stirring so that the mixture doesn't brown and ingredients are incorporated.
- Add white beans, coconut milk and almond milk. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that is on top. Add white pepper and salt to taste. Turn stove off and let the soup cool.
- In a food processor lightly chop scallion greens, corn and cucumber. Mixture should be chunky. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Working in batches, puree soup. Add soup to the serving bowl and chill. Once chilled adjust seasoning to taste. Add lime juice and serve.
- Garnish with fresh coriander if desired.
Summertime is the perfect time to try this tasty recipe featuring Randall Beans Great Northern Beans.