When you need to make cook on short notice, it is nice to have a simple go-to recipe in your back pocket.
Done in just under an hour, this barley salad with Randall Beans black eyed peas is the perfect side dish, pairing beautifully with chicken or pork (and maybe a glass of red wine). If you aren’t really familiar with barley, it is very similar in taste, consistency and nutritional value as brown rice or quinoa. The chewy barley is enhanced by boiling it in chicken broth instead of water, giving each bite a signature savoriness that’s sure to please.
Preparing the barley is the most time-consuming part of this recipe, but it is well worth the wait. The chewy barley is enhanced by boiling it in chicken broth instead of water, giving each bite a signature savoriness that’s sure to please.
Thanks to Randall’s black eyed peas, this side dish gets a little meatiness that could easily turn it into a full-on main course. Tender sauteed onions and mushrooms pair with the beans and barley to give it an Earthy base flavor that is given a little acidic bite with a splash of lemon and Italian seasonings.
Because of barley’s close resemblance, if you are in a pinch you can substitute in brown rice without compromising the recipe. Or, for our gluten-free friends, give it a try with quinoa. Just make sure you adjust the recipe accordingly.
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Randall Beans Black Eyed Pea, rinsed
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until barley is cooked. Drain off any excess liquid (you may not have any at all), add the barley to a large bowl and set aside. In a skillet, add the olive oil and heat to medium.
- Add the diced onion and mushrooms and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until mushrooms have cooked down and onions are translucent. Add the garlic and the Randall Beans Black Eyed Peas. Stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until beans are heated through. Pour your sauteed mushrooms and beans into the bowl with the barley and serve.
Looking for more terrific Randall Beans recipes? You are in luck! Check out our Quinoa & Kale Cookbook. It’s packed full of healthy, delicious, fun and simple recipes that will make eating right a seem like less of a punishment and more a reward. Download a free copy below and be sure to check out our recipe page for more recipes powered by beans.
Summertime is the perfect time to try this tasty recipe featuring Randall Beans Black Beans.