Summer is here, and with it fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the garden. With June being National Fruit and Veggie Month, it seemed fitting to include something a little bit sweeter in our recipe. Randall Beans are packaged at our plant in Tekonsha, Michigan, so we wanted to salute our state by bringing the flavor of the state fruit, cherry, to our new spicy baked beans recipe.
But you may be thinking “baked beans are already pretty sweet, isn’t that a little overkill?” Normally you may be right, but don’t worry, we brought some heat in as well to tame the extra sweetness. This recipe incorporates cherry pepper jelly made by our fellow Michigan friends over at The Cherry Republic. If you can’t find this particular brand, you can mix a jar of cherry preserves with regular pepper jelly for a similar kick of sweet heat.
Aside from the cherry pepper jelly, this spicy baked beans recipe has all the elements you know and love of classic Randall Beans baked beans. Ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and some sweet applewood smoked bacon all come together with our Great Northern Beans for a delicious cookout side dish that will pair perfectly with any chicken, brats, burgers, bean burgers, or anything else you cook up this summer.
We promise these summer sweet and spicy baked beans will be the star of your next backyard BBQ.
This recipe makes 10-12 servings, so if you are planning on feeding a large crowd, be sure to adjust the ingredient portions accordingly to make sure you have enough to go around.
- 1 48oz. jar of Randall Beans Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 package of hardwood smoked bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 jars of Cherry Pepper Jelly (we used Cherry Republic!)
- (Optional) Small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a Dutch oven or pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat is rendered and bacon is medium well, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the beans, ketchup, sugar, preserves, chicken broth, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and reserved bacon. Stir until well combined.
- (Optional) Remove seeds and ribs from jalapeño pepper and dice, if you prefer more heat. Add to bean mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and allow sauce to thicken, about 10 minutes. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Stir before serving!
Kitchen to Campground Baked Beans
Check out some of our favorites from the Randall Beans recipe collection:
Looking for more delicious baked beans recipe to enjoy this summer? Don’t forget to grab your copy of our FREE baked beans cookbook, Kitchen to Campground Baked Beans! This collection of recipes features delicious and unique ways to use Randall Beans in your favorite baked beans recipes. Grab your copy below.