By Kate Vaynshteyn (www.babaganosh.org)
Everyone loves to snack, whether they should or not. Whether it’s hungry kids coming home from school or taking a break from e-learning, or even busy adults working through the grind of the workday or scrounging the kitchen for something delicious at midnight, a great snack can be just the pick-me-up to satisfy a craving or hold you over until dinner.
During these times we could all use a delicious and healthy recipe to help us get through the school or workday, which is why we absolutely love this recipe from our friend Kate Vaynshteyn for three ways to prepare delicious and crispy roasted chickpeas!
Roasted chickpeas are perfect midday or late-night snack because they are light, crispy, and crunchy like potato chips but don’t have the same greasy and fatty guilt you get for eating them afterward.
In fact, roasted garbanzo beans are actually quite healthy! This recipe tosses the roasted beans in just a little bit of olive oil, just enough to coat them so the topping of your choice will stick and give each crunchy nugget a burst of flavor. No heavy oils or frying required!
Kate suggests three different ways you can prepare your roasted chickpeas: with honey for something sweet, with taco seasoning for something zesty, or parmesan cheese and garlic powder for something savory! Heck, why not make enough for all three?
The trick with roasted chickpeas is you want them to be as dry as possible before you put them in the oven to ensure they get nice and crispy and not soggy or squishy. The pre-bake on your beans before you add the flavors will also help keep them dry and crisp with a double-bake to ensure maximum crunch!
Roasted garbanzo beans are great for making large batches of and having on hand to enjoy throughout the week. They will last about three to four days at room temperature in an airtight container, perfect for packing in a lunchbox for kids and adults.
Enjoy a delicious snack without the guilt, you deserve it!
- 1 15.4-oz jar Randall Beans Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
Seasoning (choose one)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning + salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese + ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and pat dry with a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the dried chickpeas on the parchment paper, and roast at 400F for 25-30 minutes, or until the chickpeas are golden brown and shrink in size.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chickpeas, add seasoning, and mix well.
- Roast at 400F for 15-20 minutes, shaking the chickpeas halfway.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy. Store the roasted chickpeas in a clean dry Randall Beans jar for 3-4 days at room temperature.
Dips & Spreads
Check out some of our favorites from the Randall Beans recipe collection: