It’s easy to get wrapped up in the dinner reservations or big bouquets of roses on Valentine’s Day, but many people choose to stay home for a quiet night in and a homemade meal. You can still include the fancy foods and chocolates but making a delicious home-cooked meal is a gift in itself.
Our Valentine’s Day white bean salad is a light and fresh recipe featuring in-season winter citrus and Randall Great Northern Beans. Peppery grated radishes add crunch and a spicy bite. The dressing is made from tart grapefruit and sweet blood orange juice. Finely grated ginger gives this salad a spicy-sweet flavor. This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it making it a perfect dish to serve for a special meal. You can concentrate on the more time intensive menu items and pull this salad out just before serving.
To create the presentation in the photo, use a round biscuit or cookie cutter to form the salad. Slice a thin piece of radish and carve out a heart shape.
Valentine’s Day White Bean Salad
- 1 pink grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 blood orange, sectioned
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 5 cloves
- 1 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Randall Great Northern White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 radishes, coarsely grated
- 2-3 leaves radicchio leaves, shredded for garnish
- Section the grapefruit and blood orange by cutting off the ends so the fruit rests flatly on the cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut away the peel and white pith. Working over a bowl, ct between the membranes to section the fruit.
- Set the fruit sections aside. Squeeze any remaining juice from the membrane shell into the bowl.
- Strain the juice to remove any seeds into a small sauce pan.
- Add the red chili flakes, black peppercorns, dried rosemary and cloves then bring to a boil.
- Cover and remove from heat, allowing to steep for five minutes. Strain mixture and discard the spices.
- Return seasoned juice to the sauce pan and add the sugar. Bring back to a boil and reduce to a syrup. Remove from heat and let cool. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Mix grated radishes, ginger, shallots, grapefruit sections and blood orange sections together.
- Toss salad with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with the shredded radicchio.
- To form a round salad like pictured above, use a round cookie or biscuit cutter and fill it with the salad. Slowly remove the mold to keep salad in shape. Use a small paring knife to create a radish heart.
Valentine’s Day is a time to show your affection to those who you love. Why not show it with beans? There is no better way to win a heart than through a stomach. This easy-to-prepare dish should do the trick on this holiday of love.
This recipe featuring Randall Beans Great Northern Beans is a perfect summer side dish.