One of the most common questions we get is, “Are beans gluten free?” As we gain more understanding of gluten allergies, intolerances and Celiac disease, more and more people are trying to live a gluten-free lifestyle. And the answer is yes, beans are naturally gluten-free. Some companies may put in additives and preservatives that contain gluten, but at Randall Beans, you can rest assured our beans are cooked simply and without gluten for your health.
Any pulse, another fancy word for beans and legumes, are gluten free. Because they’re dense and filling, they can neatly fill the role of your favorite pasta, bread and other starchy foods. Mash them like you would potatoes, sautée them in olive oil and garlic and use them as a side instead of pasta or try one of our favorite recipes for tuna and mixed bean salad. Wrap this versatile spread in a lettuce leaf or roll in a gluten-free tortilla for a healthy, fast lunch.
Don’t let gluten-free living limit your choices. Pile on the beans!
Mixed Bean and Tuna Salad
- 1 48-ounce jar Randall Mixed Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 12-ounce can water packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 large sweet salad onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup olive (or vegetable) oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Crisp lettuce leaves
Lightly toss together all of the salad ingredients. In a blender or food processor, combine the dressing ingredients and blend until well mixed. Toss the dressing into the salad. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Serve on top of crisp lettuce leaves.
6 to 8 servings.
Ready to start planning your picnic? Just don’t forget the Randall Mixed Beans! Check your local grocery store or if you can’t find them you can always have these delicious beans in a jar shipped straight to you from our online store.