Bean salads don’t just have to be a side dish-they can be the star of your meal with the right ingredients and finesse. On a recent weekend when heating up the stove seemed like way too much work, we threw together a quick salad.
The Great Northern white beans are filling enough that, when combined with a tangy dressing and some chunky fresh vegetables, it makes a perfect lunch and leaves plenty to snack on throughout the weekend.
Greek White Bean Salad
- 2 cups of Randall Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 container cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Slowly whisk olive oil into the balsamic vinegar, stirring constantly. Add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and basil. Tip: lightly crush the red pepper flakes and basil in your hand to release the oils in the herbs. Toss the beans and the vegetables lightly to coat. Taste to adjust seasoning. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. The flavor of the salad will improve overnight as the beans marinate, and this dish is equally delicious room temperature or cold. Serve it as a side dish to grilled chicken or fish or eat as its own for a light meal.
This recipe featuring Randall Great Northern Beans is a perfect summer side dish.