You may or may not have thought about how well beans and seafood go together, but we have! This recipe calls for fresh fish and shrimp, great if you can catch ’em! Getting the fresh catch for your local market or seafood place works great, too. The flaky white fish is a heart and brain healthy, a great alternative to more fatty fish varieties. The variety of vegetables plus the lack of cheese or breads make this a healthier type of casserole than most. Finally, the addition of the mixed beans add to the meaty fish and give a boost of protein. For an ocean-inspired dinner that’s full of tasty flavors, try this Mediterranean Seafood Casserole with Mixed Beans.
Mediterranean Seafood Casserole with Mixed Beans
- 1 48-ounce jar Randall Mixed Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large ribs of celery, sliced
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 large sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 1-pound can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound Scrod fillets or similar white fish, poached*
- 1 cup white wine, Chablis, water may be substituted
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 pound cooked and shelled shrimp
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- *To Poach Fish:
- Rinse fish in cold water. Place in skillet. Cover with wine or water, add bay leaf and peppercorns. Simmer gently until cooked, about 8-10 minutes depending on fillet thickness.
- Remove fish from stock and flake fish into medium sized pieces. Set aside. Strain stock for later use.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté onions until transparent. Add garlic, celery, peppers, and olives. Sauté until still tender and crisp. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- Add Randall Beans, tomatoes, tomato juice, and fish stock in skillet. Simmer until well heated. Add oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into a 9 1/2" x 13 1/2" baking dish. Add vegetables, fish, shrimp, and mix. Be sure mixture is covered with juices.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake in 375 degree oven 30-40 minutes and juices bubble. Garnish with minced parsley.
This recipe featuring Randall Beans Great Northern White Beans is perfect for summer