A luscious bean dish with Italian origins.
Serve these Italian white beans as a perfect accompaniment for grilled lamb or pork chops, or anytime you need a hearty and healthy bean dish to perk up the dinner plate.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves (2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 cups Randall Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (If the flat-leaf Italian parsley is not available, regular chopped fresh parsley may be used.)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan which has a lid. Stir in the garlic, sage and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and season with pepper and salt. Cover and cook over low heat, checking and stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
- Peeling and seeding tomatoes: Pierce the whole tomatoes with a fork and lower into a pot of rapidly boiling water. After 30- 60 seconds (depending on the ripeness of the tomato) remove and refresh under cold running water. The peel is easily removed with your fingers.
- Cut in half cross wise and hold in your palm. Gently squeeze to remove the seeds. If the juice is needed for the recipe squeeze into a sieve placed over a bowl to catch the juice.
You can make this delicious dish with either our traditional Great Northern Beans or Our Organic Great Northern Beans