We’re entering into the last days of summer, where the humidity is high and the days seem to last forever. Kids pick up their knapsacks and head back to schools, hopefully with a nutritious meal in their lunchboxes! Now, since you’re thinking of school lunches or possibly work lunches, let us introduce the Kale White Bean Vegetable Soup recipe. This recipe makes four servings, perfect for a soup and sandwich lunch combo for school or work.
If you’ve not been crazy about kale in the past, this soup may be a good reason to try it again. The normally tough kale is softened into a pleasant texture’s that easy to eat, yet still holds up better than most leafy greens do. Adding into the mix, we have parsnips, which add a nice sweetness to the soup. Throw in some carrots and your white beans, and you’ve got a hearty, nutritious soup!
The best part is, it only takes 30 minutes to cook up this vegetable-y goodness. Get your spoon ready and check out the recipe below!
Kale White Bean Vegetable Soup
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 cups kale leaves, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups of white beans, such as Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 quart (4 cups) sodium free or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tablespoon salt with sodium free vegetable broth. Use less salt if using low-sodium vegetable broth.)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add the vegetable broth and water to a large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer.
- Add the chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped parsnips and cook for 10 minutes, or until the parsnips and carrots are both fork-tender and almost fully cooked. Taste the broth and add salt to taste.
- Add the chopped kale and beans, stir well to fully cover the kale with soup liquid, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Add more salt & pepper if you feel like it needs more seasoning.
Meatless Monday is so much more appealing when incorporating this tasty dish featuring Randall Great Northern Beans.