Cooking in the dorms can be difficult since most dorm rooms don’t come equipped with kitchens. If you don’t feel like going to the dining hall or it’s late at night and you need a snack, try out this recipe. Our food blogger, Nicole has created this Garlic Herb Beans & Rice recipe so that it’s dorm friendly, meaning that you can prepare it with minimal dishes and cooking. In fact, if you buy steamable bags of veggies and rice, this can all be prepped in a microwave. You may need to take advantage of the dorm kitchen so you can rinse the beans before you add them in this dish. Whatever your motivations are, this recipe is super easy for someone who wants a quick snack or side dish to a meal.
Keep the veggies on hand in your freezer and the rice, beans and spices in the milkcrate that serves as your pantry and you’ll never be far from a hot meal.
- 1 cup prepared instant brown rice*
- 1/4 cup Randall Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 teaspoon sodium free garlic and herb seasoning, to taste
- Prepare the instant rice according to package directions and fluff with a fork.
- In your serving bowl, heat beans and mixed vegetables for 12 minutes or until heated through. Add the rice and seasoning to the bowl and gently mix until combined. Enjoy immediately.