By Kate Vaynshteyn from www.babaganosh.org
The changing of the leaves and the chilly breeze in the air is making us think fall.
What better fall eating is there than casseroles? Hearty, filling, easy-to-make and always a sure-fire crowd pleaser. Our food blogger Kate brings us a unique new casserole that is sure to spice up dinner time.
Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage used in many Spanish and Mexican cuisine, and a dash of chili powder add a punch to this cheesy casserole. Cauliflower adds great flavor and texture as one of the key components holding the casserole together along with a large helping of Randall’s mixed beans.
This flavorful and cheesy casserole will leave you satisfied on the fall and winter nights ahead, and may even get your kids to start eating their cauliflower!
Total time: 45 minutes
Cauliflower Chorizo Casserole with Mixed Beans
- 1 lb cauliflower florets (½ large cauliflower, about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb uncooked chorizo sausage, removed from casing
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups Randall Beans Deluxe Mixed Beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional garnish: extra sliced olives, chopped cilantro leaves, chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite-sized florets and microwave for 8-10 minutes until fork tender.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the chorizo and allow to brown on all sides, breaking the chorizo up with a spatula. Add the oregano and chili powder and continue to cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently, or until the chorizo is fully cooked. Stir in the Randall Beans Deluxe Mixed Beans, sliced olives, and the cooked cauliflower florets.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Top with sliced olives, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro leaves and scallions if desired. Allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Want some other great casserole ideas? Download our FREE cookbook using the link below!