We are celebrating the coming of spring by celebrating organic, wholesome, vegan eating.
Beans are ideal for vegan cooking because they can give any vegan dish that extra protein they lack when meat is absent. A good vegan recipe doesn’t have to be complicated or use exotic components. No, sometimes the best recipes are the simplest.
For example, it doesn’t get any more simple than beans and rice! This recipe is ready in minutes, making it perfect for a last-second meal that is hearty and filling or as a tasty side dish or snack for kids after school or before and after sports and after-school activities.
This recipe is also great because you can build it your way. We used red peppers, onions and green onions to go along with vegetable stock, but you can pick and choose what veggies you want to use. Same goes for the beans! Black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, mixed beans and pinto beans all work perfectly for a rice and beans dish. Use your favorite variety or mix and match for a completely different dish every single time you enjoy it.
The recipe calls for pouring the mixture over rice and mixing it afterward, so feel free to make the rice in whatever your preferred method may be, whether it’s a rice cooker or stove top.
This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 24-oz jar of your favorite Randall Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, green onions, garlic and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Randall and stock. Stir to mix well. Add the bay leaf and thyme, cover and reduce to for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the parsley, hot sauce and salt.
- Taste to correct the seasonings. Serve spooned over the rice.
Want more delicious vegan recipes to enjoy this spring and summer? Grab a copy of our free cookbook Very Vegan. This collection of recipes all use our different varieties of Randall Beans and are vegan and vegetarian-friendly. Enjoy learning and trying out new vegan recipes from salads, soups, casseroles and pasta dishes. Cook up recipes such as Vegan Tacos, Vegan Chili, Grilled Balsamic Three Bean Salad, Spring Bean Salad and much, much more.
Randall Beans Black Beans are an important part of a healthy diet that