We’ve got a Mexican-inspired, cool and creamy bean salad that is perfect for the season.
Cookout season is nearly upon us and we couldn’t be more excited about spending time outside eating some delicious food.
This dish really celebrates the exciting contrasts that make Mexican cuisine so special – think creamy refried beans vs crunchy taco shells or spicy salsa tamed by a scoop of sour cream. This bean salad focuses on the contrast of heat and cool.
Using creamy and hearty great northern beans, we kick it up a notch with Greek yogurt and a bit of mayo to create a creamy base. We opt for yogurt instead of sour cream to help keep the dish relatively low-fat and a healthier option. For the heat, we mix in your favorite taco seasoning for that spicy dash of cumin and chili powder. Then we add a can of green chilies to turn it up another notch.
The result is a perfectly balanced mixture of cool and hot, creamy and crunchy that makes side dish for eating with a fork, dipped with chips or even as a sandwich spread with some crispy lettuce and tomato.
This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings, so increase the portion sizes if you plan on making this for a big crowd.
- 1 48-oz. jar Randall Beans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. plain low fat yogurt
- 1 cup cholesterol free, reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1 1/4 oz. (1 package) taco seasoning mix
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions (with some tops), sliced on diagonal
- 2 cans (2 1/4 oz. each) sliced ripe olives, well drained
- 4 oz. (1 can) diced green chilies, well drained
- Rinse beans with cold water, drain well.
- In small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise and taco seasoning and mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine beans, cheese, green onions, olives and chilies. Add dressing and mix well.
- Serve on shredded lettuce topped with tomato wedges.
This recipe is perfect for a backyard barbeque! It’s cool and creaminess is perfect for a sunny and warm day. If you want more great recipes for your next Sunday family get-together or backyard barbeque, be sure to grab a copy of our Bean Burgers and More cookbook! Not only is it loaded with delicious veggie burger recipes, but it also has plenty of other side dish ideas as well! Get inspired to put together a healthier and just as tasty cookout. You can grab your free copy below.