Spring is in the air, and warmer weather is finally within our reach!
But the weather isn’t the only piece of joy that comes with the changing seasons. Spring is also the mark of a new beginning, a time to reflect and freshen up our days as we head into the busy summer.
One particular benefit of springtime is the opportunity to spend more time outside. It may not be as warm as we want it yet, but after a long and chilly winter, there’s no feeling like the grand return to outdoor activities.
And what better way to spend time outside than with the first cookout of the season? To help you get into the spirit, we wanted to share these delicious Sweet & Spicy Michigan Baked Beans!
- 4 1/2 cups Randall Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 package of hardwood smoked bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 jars of Cherry Pepper Jelly (we used Cherry Republic!)
- (Optional) Small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a Dutch oven or pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat is rendered and bacon is medium-well, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the beans, ketchup, sugar, preserves, chicken broth, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and reserved bacon. Stir until well combined.
- (Optional) Remove seeds and ribs from jalapeño pepper and dice it up. Then, add it to bean mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and allow sauce to thicken, about 10 minutes. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Stir before serving!