Ready? O-K! Did you know Randall Beans is an official sponsor of the MIT Cheerleaders? We love supporting these smart young athletes. Not only is cheerleading a ball to watch, it’s also an amazing way of getting active.
Cheerleading combines anaerobic activity (those peppy dance moves), strength training (tumbling moves and throwing your fellow cheerleaders into the air), flexibility (two words: the splits) and coordination. In other words, you hit every major kind of physical activity all rolled into one. The result is a total body workout.
Even if you’re long past your high school or college cheerleading days, that doesn’t mean you still can’t enjoy the health benefits of cheerleading. Check out these cheerleading-inspired exercises to improve your overall level of fitness and flexibility. Once you’re done working out, cool down with this light and healthy southwest pinto bean salad with chili-lime dressing. The crunchy peppers and spicy dressing pair with the creamy, meaty beans for a salad that’ll have you cheering.
Southwest Pinto Bean Salad
- 1 48-ounce jar Randall Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet salad onion, (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 recipe Chili-Lime Dressing*
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- Lime slices, for garnish
In a large bowl gently toss together the beans, celery, onion, peppers and cilantro. Make the dressing according to instructions below and toss in. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Line a platter or shallow bowl with large, crisp lettuce leaves. Top with the salad. Garnish with the lime slices. Serve chilled.
10 to 12 servings.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper jelly (jalapeño jelly)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, (hot or mild, according to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Whisk together until mixture is smooth. Toss into salad.
Makes about 3/4 cup.