Eating protein rich food is a smart way to recover after a strenuous workout. We are always on the lookout for a pinto bean salad recipe with an extra helping of healthy. This week’s pinto bean salad recipe does double duty in the protein department because it includes the grain quinoa.
A high quality protein, quinoa is a gluten-free, iron rich, complex carbohydrate that pairs well with protein packed, mineral rich pinto beans. This is a great example of an energy packed vegan salad, and it’s easy to throw together! Make sure to keep the quinoa chilled in an airtight container if you have leftovers. You can even use it as a topping for other tasty dishes like tacos or pasta.
Pinto Bean Quinoa Salad
Power Pintos: Pinto Bean Quinoa Salad
- 24 oz. Randall Pinto Beans, drained (reserve jar)
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in sherry
- 1 medium red pepper, roasted
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 6 scallions, sliced
- sherry vinaigrette(see below)
- Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp. black pepper, finely ground
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 5 tsp. garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. sherry soaked raisins, minced
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsp. raisin sherry liquid
- Sherry Soaked Raisins
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Soak raisins in the in the dry sherry overnight.
- Reserve 3 tbsp raisins plus soaking sherry juice.
- Make the salad:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Rinse out Randall Beans 24 oz jar.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in the reserved Randall Beans jar and shake.
- Pour 1/2 cup of vinaigrette over salad.
- Toss salad.
- Other grains, such as wild rice or bulgar can be substituted for the quinoa. Use the leftover vinaigrette as a marinade.
Meatless Monday is so much more appealing when incorporating this tasty dish featuring Randall Beans Pinto Beans.