We can’t get enough of these summer salads! When the weather turns too hot to stand in front of the stove, that’s when we turn to our noble bean and our trusted dressings. This Southwest Rainbow Bean Salad is particularly fun because of the chili-lime dressing, which combines fresh lime juice with hot pepper jelly and chili powder for a nice spicy, yet citrusy, touch. This will sit for a couple hours in the fridge, so it’s best to pre-plan this one if you’re making it for a dinner or event.
Southwest Rainbow Bean Salad With Chili-Lime Dressing
- 4 1/2 cups Randall Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet salad onion, (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 recipe Chili-Lime Dressing*
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- Lime slices, for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper jelly (jalapeño jelly)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, (hot or mild, according to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Whisk together dressing ingredients until mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl gently toss together the beans, celery, onion, peppers and cilantro. Mix dressing into salad. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Line a platter or shallow bowl with large, crisp lettuce leaves. Top with the salad. Garnish with the lime slices. Serve chilled.
Ready to start planning your picnic? Just don’t forget the Randall Beans! Check your local grocery store or if you can’t find them you can always have these delicious beans in a jar shipped straight to you from our online store.