This July is all about baked beans for Randall Beans, so we are rolling out one of our classic recipes.
Root Beer Baked Beans, anyone?
Did you know soda is a common ingredient in many kitchens, particularly in the south? The sweetness of the soda and its syrupy qualities can help make baked goods moist and sweet. In fact, some major soda companies even showcase their product in these kinds of recipes, like Coca-Cola Cake and 7UP Biscuits. It was recipes like this that inspired us to create this root beer baked beans recipe. The result was one of our best-known recipes.
It was recipes like this that inspired us to create this root beer baked beans recipe. The result was one of our best-known recipes.
It all starts with the beans. We use dark red kidney beans in the recipe, giving it a whole different taste and texture from what you expect from typical baked beans. Bacon, onion, molasses, tomato paste, mustard, and spices give the beans a warm and familiar baked bean flavor.
Then comes the root beer! The root beer gives the beans extra sweetness and the syrup helps everything form together better for the final product. If you are worried about this root beer baked beans recipe is too heavy, don’t forget to add some apple cider vinegar! The vinegar helps give some acidity to the dish, making it more lively without adding too much sweetness.
This is the perfect summertime BBQ side dish! Serve it alongside chicken, ribs, brats, or burgers as the perfect complement.
- 3 slices hardwood smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 24 oz jar Randall Beans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ¾ cup root beer
- 1 ½ Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. molasses
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Add onions to the bacon grease, stirring often, until browned. Add garlic and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Stir in bacon and bring to a boil. Transfer to oven and bake uncovered until liquid thickens, about 20 minutes.
Summer Baked Beans
Check out some of our favorites from the Randall Beans recipe collection: