As summer approaches, so do the delicious flavors of fresh produce!
One of our favorite things about summertime is being able to pick fresh produce from our garden or from the farmer’s market and incorporate their flavors into the food we make for our friends and family.
When meals and parties begin to move outside and porch-dining takes priority over the dinner table, bring out a flavorful salad that can work as a side or start as the main dish for a light dinner! Using our new Ultimate 4 Bean Mix, this salad marries the crisp, sweet and yummy veggies and herbs of summertime and our flavorful and protein-packed Randall Beans with a cool, creamy vegan dressing perfect for the season.
With customizable toppings, this salad is sure to please everyone at the table. We chose arugula as the base because of its peppery taste balances so nicely when paired with creamy beans and the rich dressing we whipped up. On top of that, we used roasted corn for some smoky sweetness, jalapeño for some heat, fresh peppers for crunch and some healthy quinoa to help bind it all together!
Feel free to make this salad your way. Non-vegan toppings such a crumbled cotija cheese are fine additions too if anyone wants to add it to their salad
Our recipe is made for 6 servings as a meal or more as a side, but if you’re entertaining a larger crowd feel free to double the recipe! There is enough dressing for a double salad recipe, but it’s so delicious, you might use it for every other salad you make this summer too!
Tip: read the recipe before you start, as two ingredients are roasted at the same time, one for the salad, and one for the dressing. Enjoy!
Fiesta Mixed Bean Salad with Creamy Avocado Poblano Dressing
For the salad:
- 1 bag of arugula greens
- 1 48oz. jar of Randall Beans Ultimate 4 Bean Mix, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cups roasted sweet corn (about 4 ears)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. of lime juice
- Sliced scallions for garnish
For the dressing:
- 2 Haas avocados
- 2 roasted poblano peppers
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for consistency
- Wash and roughly chop produce and peel and pit avocados.
- Roast poblano peppers (and ears of corn, see salad recipe below) for 10 minutes, or until you see browning skin and peppers are softened.
- Add all ingredients to the food processor and blend until well combined, adding a tablespoon of olive oil at a time until dressing is smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste and pour int airtight container. Put in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Rinse all produce. Slice and remove seeds from peppers before dicing into small pieces.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. When done, set aside to cool.
- On a grill or on the top rack of your oven, roast ears of sweet corn (at the same time roast poblano peppers, see dressing recipe) until kernels have browned slightly, around ten minutes. When cool, slice off the cob.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped sweet and jalapeño peppers, roasted corn kernels, quinoa, and ½ the jar of Randall Ultimate 4 Bean Mix. (Return leftover beans to the fridge to use for another recipe. They will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.) Add lime juice and mix well.
- Right before serving, toss the veggie and quinoa mixture with the fresh arugula greens. Shake dressing well and serve over salad. Sprinkle with scallions and enjoy!
Craving some more fresh recipes inspired by summer produce? Grab a copy of our Farmer’s Market Favorites Cookbook! Every recipe in this FREE collection takes full advantage of the delicious, healthy and fresh ingredients you can find at your local farmer’s market or maybe even in your garden at home!