Are you Olympics obsessed? Watching all the countries coming together for a battle of strength, concentration and athletic ability. Each athlete working their hardest to bring home glory and a gold medal to their country. All the crazy fans sporting their national colors and waiting for the opportunity to sing their national anthem in response to victory. All in all it is an event rooted in tradition. From the torch to the medals, everything is a homage to the ancient games in Greece.
We may not have a torch or medals to hand out to the best beans, but we do believe in tradition. Randall Beans is rooted in the tradition of beans in a glass jar with a recipe over 100 years old. Plus we love to meld modern recipes and food trends together to give you delicious recipes. To honor the tradition and birthplace of the Olympics, here’s our Greek beans recipe for Aegean Pita Sandwich. Think Great Northern beans subtly simmered with Greek flavors wrapped in warm pita bread. No need to don a toga- just sit back and enjoy.
- 1 (24-oz) jar Randall Great Northern Beans
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup green pepper slices
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 (15-oz) can flavored tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 pita breads
- In a large skillet, melt margarine, add celery, peppers, and onions. Cook until onions are soft and slightly transparent.
- Add Randall Great Northern Beans, tomato sauce, oregano, and salt. Mix well and stir until mixture is heated through.
- Divide mixture and place into pita breads that have been warmed in the oven.
More recipes inspired by Greece:
Greek Salad with Toasted Garbanzo Beans
You can make this delicious dish with either our traditional Great Northern White Beans or Our Organic Great Northern White Beans