Throw out everything you’ve thought about vegan cooking.
The stereotypes of unfamiliar ingredients, bizarre preparations and bland meals give vegan recipes a bad rap. The truth is, vegan recipes can be flavorful and inspiring, filled with ingredients you know and love. There are vegan versions of every kind of cuisine, meaning you can get your fix of your favorite meals and feel good about it. Your craving for Mexican food doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure when you make our vegan taco recipe.
Randall Pinto Beans are a filling base ingredient and give the tacos a healthy serving of protein. Spicy chili powder and red chipotle powder are used with cumin and paprika to season the beans. Red chipotle powder is a Mexican spice made from dried and smoked red jalapeno peppers. It’s available in the spice section of most grocery stores or in the international aisle. Want more heat? You can go as hot as you like using your favorite hot sauce. Lightly caramelized onions are sweeter than raw onions and provide a depth of flavor to the taco filling. Add the mixture to store-bought vegan taco shells and garnish with lettuce and tomato. Leftovers are great with chips for a healthy snack or as a filling for quesadillas.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of Randall Beans Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground red chipotle powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Vegan taco shells
- Lettuce and tomato, for toppings
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and barely caramelized. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in the beans and all of the spices. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Taste for seasonings and add more chili powder or ground red chipotle powder if you want a spicier filling.
- Scoop the bean filling into your taco shells and add your favorite toppings.
More Vegan Recipes
Mediterranean Eggplant and Bean Soup
Ready to start planning your picnic? Just don’t forget the Randall Beans! Check your local grocery store or if you can’t find them you can always have these delicious beans in a jar shipped straight to you from our online store.
Love this vegan take on classic tacos! Yum! Cilantro makes a nice additional topping too!